- Newly confirmed Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed to disclose to the Senate that he spoke with the Russian ambassador twice last year. (Mar. 1)
- CNN: White House misled media on possible immigration compromise to ensure good coverage before Trump’s speech to Congress. (Mar. 1)
- A young woman with DREAMer status is detained by ICE after speaking at a press conference.
- Republican leaders have hidden House draft plan for healthcare reform in a basement.
- Ben Carson confirmed as secretary of housing and urban development.
- A growing number of lawmakers call for Sessions to recuse himself from Russia investigation or resign.
- WSJ: Donald Trump Jr. paid $50,000 by Russian and Syrian allies to speak at event in October.
- Rick Perry confirmed as secretary of energy. As a candidate, he proposed eliminating the department.
- Sessions recuses himself from investigations into Russian hacking of U.S. election.
- Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn and Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner met with Russian ambassador during transition.
- EPA withdraws request for oil and gas wells to provide info on equipment and methane emissions.
Copyright © 2017 AJ+, All rights reserved.
From: Copyright © 2017 AJ+, All rights reserved.
I’ve already posted about Michael Flynn but here is some additional documentation of his islamophobia and overt racism.
In a speech he made in Massachusetts in August:
“Our country was built upon the foundation of Judeo-Christian principles, values, norms. We should fight this idea of this imposition of Sharia law into our system. And believe me, folks, it is happening.
All you have to do is go and look up something called ‘the American laws for American courts.’ I don’t know if it’s happening up here in Massachusetts, it’s happening in other states. I have had people in the media, mainstream media, say, ‘oh, that’s all a conspiracy, it’s a lie.’
No, in the state Florida. The state of Florida, they have 36 senators at the state level. 36 senators at the state level. 12 of them are Democrats, the Republicans hold the majority in the Florida state senate. All 12 Democrats, all 12 Democrats voted to impose Shariah law at the local and state level. Now, it was beaten because the Republicans are in charge. I’m telling you, this is ‘American laws for America’s courts.'” [This is super untrue btw]
To clarify, Sharia law is the religious law followed by members of the Islamic faith. It is not a forced conversion to Islam or a requirement for non Muslims to practice the faith.
You can read about the actual legislation this outrageous claim originated from here.
I leave you with another lovely quote from the same speech
“We are facing another ‘ism,’ just like we faced Nazism, and fascism, and imperialism and communism. This is Islamism, it is a vicious cancer inside the body of 1.7 billion people on this planet and it has to be excised.”
Yeah, he is saying that a religion practiced by over a billion people is on the level of Nazis. Nice fella.
[Summarized from PolitiFact]
Joined in chants of “Lock her up” at the RNC
has called President Obama “a liar” and troubled some former colleagues with his partisan political work
His behavior and a string of controversial and dark statements about Islam, among other topics, have alarmed many of his former colleagues. [Source]